Tsarskoye Selo (Russian: Ца́рское Село́, IPA: [ˈtsarskəɪ sʲɪˈlo] (listen), "Tsar's Village") was the town containing a former residence of the Russian imperial family and visiting nobility, located 24 kilometers (15 mi) south from the center of Saint Petersburg. The residence now forms part of the town of Pushkin. Tsarskoye Selo forms one of the World Heritage Site Saint Petersburg and Related Groups of Monuments.
The area of Tsarskoye Selo, once part of Swedish Ingria, first became a Russian royal/imperial residence in the early 18th century as an estate of the Empress-consort Catherine (later Empress-regnant as Catherine I, r. 1725–1727), from whom the Catherine Palace takes its name. The Alexander Palace (built from 1792 onwards) originated as the home of Catherine the Great's grandson, the Grand Duke Alexander Pavlovich, who later became Emperor Alexander I (r. 1801–1825). After his abdication, Nicholas II and his family, were under house arrest here until 13 August 1917.
According to Robert K. Massie, "Tsarskoe Selo was a magnificent synbol, a supreme gesture, of the Russian autocracy. At the edge of the great St. Petersburg plain, fifteen miles south of the capital, a succession of Russian tsars and empresses had created an isolated, miniature world, as artificial and fantastic as a precisely ordered mechanical toy. Inside the park, monuments, obelisks and triumphal arches studded eight hundred acres of velvet green lawn. An artificial lake, big enough for small sailboats, could be emptied and filled like a bathtub. At one end of the lake stood a pink Turkish bath; not far off, a dazzling red-and-gold Chinese pagoda crowned an artificial hillock." The two palaces stood five hundred yards apart in the Imperial Park. "Outside the palace gates, Tsarskoe Selo, was an elegant provincial town..." The town included "The mansions of the aristocracy, lining the wide tree-shaded boulevard which led from the railway station to the gates of the Imperial Park..."
Nickname for elite Soviet neighborhoods
In the Soviet Union the nickname "the Tsar's village" came to apply to blocks and small neighborhoods that housed the nomenklatura (Soviet elites). Their stores were better stocked, although they were still affected by Soviet-era shortages. The buildings in the neighborhoods were better designed, constructed and maintained.
One such neighborhood, west of Moscow, contained less industry and more parks than any other neighborhood.
- Alexander Palace and associated park
- Catherine Palace and associated park
- Amber Room
- Kagul Obelisk
- Sophia Cathedral
- Tsarskoye Selo Lyceum
Grotto pavilion in Catherine park of Tsarskoe Selo, Saint Petersburg, Russia
Alexander Palace 1918
Kegresse track outside Alexander Palace, January 1917
- Treaty of Tsarskoye Selo
- Emperor railway station in Pushkin town
- Adolphe Kegresse
- Jabado, Salwa; Fodor's (2008). Fodor's Moscow and St. Petersburg. New York: Random House. p. 292. ISBN 978-1-4000-0717-2.
- Massie, Robert (1967). Nicholas and Alexandria. New York: Ballantine Books. pp. 117–130. ISBN 9780345438317.
- St. Petersburg Encyclopedia. Accessed: May 6, 2012.
- Compare:Gessen, Masha (2017). The Future is History: How Totalitarianism Reclaimed Russia. Granta Books. ISBN 9781783784011. Retrieved October 22, 2020.
Under the Soviets [...] the name 'the Tsars' Village' began attaching itself to blocks and small neighborhoods that housed the Soviet elites.
The stores here were better stocked, even though they were affected by the shortages. The buildings were better designed and constructed.
- Masha Gessen, (2017). The Future Is History: How Totalitarianism Reclaimed Russia.
- King, Greg (2006). The Court of the Last Tsar (hardback). Hoboken: John Wiley & Sons. ISBN 978-0-471-72763-7.
- Tsarskoye Selo, Pushkin town, historical facts of the city, map, local weather, directions from St. Petersburg
- The State Museum of Tsarskoye Selo Archived November 16, 2018, at the Wayback Machine
- Alexander Palace Time Machine The Alexander Palace Time Machine
- Tsarskoye Selo in 1910 – a guide to the Palaces, Park and Town
- Photo Tours of Tsarskoe Selo
- Last Days at Tsarskoe Selo Last Days at Tsarskoe Selo by Count Paul Beckendorff
- Photographic views of Tsarskoye Selo, c. 2002 Archived March 3, 2016, at the Wayback Machine The Nostalgic Glass
- Tsarskoye Selo Photos Iconicarchive Gallery
- Bernard DeCou's colored photos of Tsarskoye Selo, c. 1931
Media files used on this page
This work was published on territory of the Russian Empire (Russian Republic) except for territories of the Grand Duchy of Finland and Congress Poland before 7 November 1917 and wasn't re-published for 30 days following initial publications on the territory of Soviet Russia or any other countries.
The Russian Federation (early Soviet Russia, RSFSR) is the historical heir but not legal successor of the Russian Empire, and the Russian Empire was not party to the Berne Convention (it was not country of Union for the protection of the rights of authors in their literary and artistic works), so according to article 5 of the Convention this work has no country of origin except:
- in the case of cinematographic work the maker of which has his headquarters or his habitual residence in a country of the Union, the country of origin shall be that country,
- in the case of of architecture erected in a country of the Union or other artistic works incorporated in a building or other structure located in a country of the Union, the country of origin shall be that country,
- in the case of other works if the author is a national of a country of the Union¹, the country of origin shall be that country.
¹ - Author who is not a national of a country of the Union but who has his habitual residence in a country of the Union, be assimilated to national of that country.
The exclusive rights to this work do not extend on territory of the Russian Federation according to article 1256 of the Civil Code of the Russian Federation (details), because this work does not meet the requirements on the territory of publication, on the author's nationality, and on obligations for international treaties.
Author/Creator: This W3C-unspecified vector image was created with Inkscape., Licence: CC BY-SA 3.0
Imperial Standard of the Emperor of Russia, used from 1858 to 1917.
Darin: Motorwagen Dienst
Original: Negativ; Glasplatte; Silberbromid; 13x18cm
El palacio de Alejandro, residencia privada del zar en Tsárskoye Seló.
Tsarskoye Selo, Catherine Palace. The Amber Room in 1917. Autochromes of Andrei Andreyevich Zeest are made in June-August 1917. Interiors photographing of Tsarskoye Selo was conducted on behalf of G. K. Lukomsky (chairman of the Commission for acceptance and registration estate management of the Tsarskoye Selo palace; the commission formed by the Provisional Government). In the Amber Room at the time was placed the model of the monument Friedrich the Great.
Author/Creator: Jim G, Licence: CC BY 2.0
Tsarskoye Selo, once known as the Czar’s Village or Pushkin, is approximately 17 miles south of the city of St. Petersburg and is the site of Catherine’s Palace. Built between 1719-1723 and restored many times, it has a stunning aqua colored façade, decorated with statues, gold and white ornaments and topped with gold onion domes. Inside is an immense collection of art work and furnishings. This, as with all of the palaces in the area, was heavily damaged by retreating German forces, but is now almost completely restored.See set comments for <a href="https://www.flickr.com/photos/jimg944/sets/72157594534792118/comments">“St. Petersburg Overview & History”</a>.