Julian High School (Chicago)
|Julian High School|
10330 S. Elizabeth Street
|School type||Public Secondary|
|Motto||Heart. Head. Hand|
|School district||Chicago Public Schools|
|Principal||Myron L. Hester|
|Athletics conference||Chicago Public League|
|Accreditation||North Central Association of Colleges and Schools|
Percy Lavon Julian High School (commonly known as Julian High School) is a public 4–year high school located in the Washington Heights neighborhood on the far south side of Chicago, Illinois, United States. Opened in September 1975, Julian is a part of the Chicago Public Schools district. Julian is named for African-American research chemist Percy Lavon Julian.
Julian was officially established in August 1974 when community members requested to James F. Redmond, General Superintendent of Chicago Schools and the Chicago Board of Education that two new schools were needed to relieve overcrowding at two area schools, Harlan and Fenger during the 1970–1971 school year. The school board approved the requested and construction on Julian began in November 1974. Designed by Chicago native and architect Myron Goldsmith (who also designed the other school proposed in the request a year prior, Corliss High School; which shares a similar design to Julian), the school was constructed over two phases between November 1974 through May 1975.
Prior to its construction and opening, the school was often referred to as the 103rd and Dan Ryan Site High School by city and school officials. The school opened for students on September 3, 1975 and was renamed after Percy Lavon Julian by the school's founding principal Dr. Edward H. Oliver. Oliver served as principal of the school from its opening in 1975 until June 1991; the longest to serve as principal of Julian.
On October 22, 2013, twenty–nine students were arrested and charged with mob action after a fight involving a large group took place at the school. The fight was believed to be between members of rival street gangs.
Julian competes in the Chicago Public League (CPL) and is a member of the Illinois High School Association (IHSA). The school sport teams are nicknamed the Jaguars. The boys' wrestling team became public league champions and Class AA two times (1981–82, 1986–87). The girls' basketball team became regional champions during the 2003–04 season. The boys' basketball team were regional champions and Class AA three times (2002–03, 2003–04, 2004–05).
- Corwin Brown – (class of 1988), NFL football player, (New England Patriots).
- Jason Burns (attended) – NFL football player, (Cincinnati Bengals).
- Sean Dockery – (class of 2002), IBL basketball player, Edmonton Chill.
- Howard Griffith – (class of 1986), NFL two-time Super Bowl champ with the (Denver Broncos).
- Byron Irvin – (class of 1984), NBA basketball player, Washington Bullets.
- Walt Lemon Jr. (Walter Lemon Jr.) – (class of 2010), NBA basketball player, (Chicago Bulls, New Orleans Pelicans), Israel Basketball Premier League
- BJ the Chicago Kid (Bryan Sledge) – (class of 2003), singer-songwriter.
- Danny Walters – (class of 1978), NFL football player, (San Diego Chargers).
- Chris Washington – (class of 1979), NFL football player, (Tampa Bay Buccaneers)
- "High School Code Search". College Board. Retrieved 15 October 2013.
- "Institution Summary for Julian High School". AdvancED profile. North Central Association Commission on Accreditation and School Improvement. Retrieved 31 August 2012.
- "Reconnect with friends from Classmates Test High School, find reunions, view yearbook photos and more". Classmates.com.
- "Error | Chicago Public Schools". www.cps.edu.
- Sciences (U.S.), National Academy of (December 18, 1980). "Biographical Memoirs". National Academies – via Google Books.
- Drugs in Our Schools. Retrieved 11 November 2019.
- Chicago Public Schools: Ensuring Diversity in Selective Enrollment and Magnet Schools. Retrieved 11 November 2019.
- Emanuel, Muriel (January 23, 2016). "Contemporary Architects". Springer – via Google Books.
- Chidi, Sylvia Lovina (June 13, 2014). "The Greatest Black Achievers in History". Lulu.com – via Google Books.
- Journal of the House of Representatives, 1991. Retrieved November 14, 2019.
- Legislative Digest ... General Assembly, State of Illinois, Volume 3, 1991. Retrieved November 14, 2019.
- "29 students charged in Percy Julian High School fight | ABC7 Chicago | abc7chicago.com - ABC7 Chicago".
- "29 Students Arrested In Massive Brawl At South Side High School". HuffPost. October 23, 2013.
- "IHSA". www.ihsa.org.
- McGavin, Patrick Z. (February 15, 2001). "Raw Footage: Reality TV finds the fascination in high school basketball". Chicago Reader. Retrieved December 5, 2017.
- Breen, Justin (September 2, 2015). "Ex-NBA Player Byron Irvin, Now a Sports Agent, Enters Julian's Hall of Fame". DNAInfo. Archived from the original on December 6, 2017. Retrieved December 5, 2017.
- "Walt Lemon, Jr. bio". BradleyBraves.com. Retrieved November 14, 2019.
- WALTER LEMON JR. LOOKS TO MAKE A DIFFERENCE WITH THE WINDY CITY BULLS - “IT’S BEEN ABOUT PLAYING TOGETHER, UNSELFISH BASKETBALL AND THAT HAS TO START WITH ME.” - WALTER LEMON JR..Retrieved November 14, 2019.
- WGN (Chicago) Walter Lemon Jr. completes memorable day by helping the Bulls to a win.Retrieved November 14, 2019.