Holland & Sherry
Holland & Sherry began as merchants at 10 Old Bond Street, London, specializing in woolen and silk cloths. In 1886 Holland & Sherry moved premises to Golden Square, at the time the epicenter of the woolen merchanting trade. By 1900 the firm was exporting to many countries, it was around that time a sales office was established in New York. In the early part of the 20th century, the United Kingdom, Europe, North and South America were the dominant markets for the company. Amongst other distribution arrangements, there was a Holland & Sherry warehouse in St. Petersburg, Russia – a successful market prior to the revolution and now being successfully renewed. By 1982 the business moved to Savile Row. Its head office is still on Savile Row. Holland & Sherry provide fabrics to tailors and couture designers throughout the world.
Media files used on this page
Author/Creator: CC BY-SA 2.5
A representation of the Maclachlan hunting tartan. This tartan is the oldest tartan to bear the name MacLachlan. This tartan is referred to as the Old MacLachlan, MacLachlan, and Hunting MacLachlan. This sett was first published in Old & Rare Scottish Tartans by D. W. Stewart in 1893.
Thread count: Y6, W4, Bk32, G32, Y6, W4, R48.
Sources: MacLachlan Clan Tartan WR1710 MacLachlan Hunting Tartan
Author/Creator: Tarquin Binary, Licence: CC BY-SA 2.5
Golden Square, Soho, London. 14 January 2006. Photographer: Fin Fahey.(The statue in the middle ground is of George II. The sculpture of a reclining man in the background is a temporary installation: Catafalque by Sean Henry.)