Chris Brooks (academic)
Chris Brooks is Professor of Finance at the ICMA Centre, part of Henley Business School, University of Reading, United Kingdom.
Brooks was formerly Professor of Finance at the Cass Business School, City University London. He holds a PhD and a BA in Economics and Econometrics, both from the Department of Economics at University of Reading. His teaching has included statistics, econometrics, asset pricing and portfolio management, corporate finance and the philosophy of research. Brooks has acted as advisor and consultant to various agencies and companies and is on the editorial boards of numerous journals including the International Journal of Forecasting, Journal of Business Finance & Accounting, and the British Accounting Review. He was a member of the Accounting and Finance sub-panel for the 2008 Research Assessment Exercise and of the Business and Management sub-panel for the Research Excellence Framework 2014. Brooks is a former member of the Executive Committee of the Conference of Professors of Accounting and Finance and is a member of the ESRC peer review college. He has received research funding from the ESRC and from the Leverhulme Trust.
Brooks has diverse research interests including asset pricing, fund management, behavioural finance, financial history, and econometric analysis and modelling in finance and real estate. He is author or co-author of over 120 published articles and author or co-editor of six books that have been cited more than 10000 times. Brooks is well known as author of the first introductory econometrics textbook targeted at finance students, Introductory Econometrics for Finance (2014, Cambridge University Press), which now is in its third edition and has sold over 60,000 copies worldwide since it was first published. Most of his research is available either through the Social Science Research Network (SSRN, Author ID: 14685) or at the CentAUR, University of Reading repository.
Selected journal articles and books
- Brooks, C., Sangiorgi, I., Hillenbrand, C. and Money, K. (2018) Why are older investors less willing to take financial risks? International Review of Financial Analysis, 56. pp. 52–72. ISSN 1057-5219 doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.irfa.2017.12.008
- Brooks, C. and Schopohl, L. (2018) Topics and trends in finance research: what is published, who publishes it and what gets cited? The British Accounting Review. ISSN 0890-8389 doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bar.2018.02.0
- Brooks, C., Chen, Z. and Zeng, Y. (2018) Institutional cross-ownership and corporate strategy: the case of mergers and acquisitions. Journal of Corporate Finance, 48. pp. 187–216. ISSN 0929-1199 doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcorpfin.2017.11.003
- Bell, A. R. and Brooks, C. (2018) Is there a ‘Magic Link’ between research activity, professional teaching qualifications and student satisfaction? Higher Education Policy. ISSN 1740-3863 doi: https://doi.org/10.1057/s41307-018-0081-0
- Brooks, C. and Oikonomou, I. (2018) The effects of environmental, social and governance disclosures and performance on firm value: a review of the literature in accounting and finance. The British Accounting Review, 50 (1). pp. 1–15. ISSN 0890-8389 doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bar.2017.11.005
- Hillenbrand, C., Money, K. G., Brooks, C. and Tovstiga, N. (2017) Corporate tax: what do stakeholders expect? Journal of Business Ethics. ISSN 1573-0697 doi: https://doi.org/10.1007/s10551-017-3700-6
- Brooks, C. (2017) The impact of foreign real estate investment on land prices: evidence from Mauritius. Review of Development Economics, 21 (4). e131-e146. ISSN 1467-9361 doi: https://doi.org/10.1111/rode.12316
- Bell, A. R. and Brooks, C. (2017) What makes students satisfied? A discussion and analysis of the UK’s national student survey. Journal of Further and Higher Education. ISSN 1469-9486 doi: https://doi.org/10.1080/0309877X.2017.1349886
- Brooks, C., Balatti, M. and Kappou, K. (2017) Fundamental indexation revisited: new evidence on alpha. International Review of Financial Analysis, 51. pp. 1–15. ISSN 1057-5219 doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.irfa.2017.02.010
- Brooks, C., Godfrey, C., Hillenbrand, C. and Money, K. (2016) Do investors care about corporate tax? Journal of Corporate Finance, 38. pp. 218–248. ISSN 0929-1199 doi: 10.1016/j.jcorpfin.2016.01.013
- Brooks, C., Fernandez-Perez, A., Miffre, J. and Nneji, O. (2016) Commodity risks and the cross-section of equity returns. The British Accounting Review, 48 (2). pp. 134–150. ISSN 0890-8389 doi: 10.1016/j.bar.2016.03.001
- Brooks, C., Burke, S. P. and Stanescu, S. (2016) Finite sample weighting of recursive forecast errors. International Journal of Forecasting, 32 (2). pp. 458–474. ISSN 0169-2070 doi: 10.1016/j.ijforecast.2015.05.003
- Brooks, C., Prokopczuk, M. and Wu, Y. (2015) Booms and busts in commodity markets: bubbles or fundamentals?Journal of Futures Markets, 35 (10). pp. 916–938. ISSN 1096-9934 doi: 10.1002/fut.21721
- Oikonomou, I., Brooks, C. and Pavelin, S. (2014) The financial effects of uniform and mixed corporate social performance. Journal of Management Studies, 51(6). pp. 898–925.ISSN 1467-6486 doi: 10.1111/joms.12064
- Anderson, K. and Brooks, C. (2014) Speculative bubbles and the cross-sectional variation in stock returns. International Review of Financial Analysis, 35. pp. 20–31. ISSN 1057-5219 doi: 10.1016/j.irfa.2014.07.004
- Miffre, J. and Brooks, C. (2013) Do long-short speculators destabilise commodity futures markets? International Review of Financial Analysis, 30. pp. 230–240.ISSN 1057-5219 doi: 10.1016/j.irfa.2013.09.002
- Miffre, J., Brooks, C. and Li, X. (2013) Idiosyncratic volatility and the pricing of poorly-diversified portfolios. International Review of Financial Analysis, 30. pp. 78–85.ISSN 1057-5219 doi: 10.1016/j.irfa.2013.05.007
- Brooks, C., Cerny, A. and Miffre, J. (2012) Optimal hedging with higher moments. Journal of Futures Markets, 32 (10). pp. 909–944.ISSN 1096-9934 doi: 10.1002/fut.20542
- Anderson, K., Brooks, C. and Katsaris, A. (2010) Speculative bubbles in the S&P 500: was the tech bubble confined to the tech sector? Journal of Empirical Finance, 17 (3). pp. 345–361.ISSN 0927-5398 doi: 10.1016/j.jempfin.2009.12.004
- Brammer, S., Brooks, C. and Pavelin, S. (2006) Corporate social performance and stock returns: UK evidence from disaggregate measures. Financial Management, 35 (3). pp. 97–116.ISSN 1755-053X doi: 10.1111/j.1755-053X.2006.tb00149.x
- Anderson, K. and Brooks, C. (2006) The long-term price-earnings ratio. Journal of Business Finance and Accounting, 33 (7–8). pp. 1063–1086.ISSN 1468-5957 doi: 10.1111/j.1468-5957.2006.00621.x
- Brooks, C. and Katsaris, A. (2005) A three-regime model of speculative behaviour: modelling the evolution of the S&P 500 composite index. The Economic Journal, 115 (505). pp. 767–797.ISSN 1468-0297 doi: 10.1111/j.1468-0297.2005.01019.x
- Shields, K., Olekalns, N., Henry, Ó. T. and Brooks, C. (2005) Measuring the response of macroeconomic uncertainty to shocks. Review of Economics and Statistics, 87 (2). pp. 362–370.ISSN 1530-9142 doi: 10.1162/0034653053970276
- Brooks, C., Clare, A. D., Dalle Molle, J. W. and Persand, G. (2005) A comparison of extreme value theory approaches for determining value at risk. Journal of Empirical Finance, 12 (2). pp. 339–352.ISSN 0927-5398 doi: 10.1016/j.jempfin.2004.01.004
- Brooks, C., Burke, S. P., Heravi, S. and Persand, G. (2005) Autoregressive conditional kurtosis. Journal of Financial Econometrics, 3 (3). pp. 399–421.ISSN 1479-8417 doi: 10.1093/jjfinec/nbi018
- Brooks, C. and Katsaris, A. (2005) Trading rules from forecasting the collapse of speculative bubbles for the S&P 500 composite index. Journal of Business, 78 (5). pp. 2003–2036.ISSN 0740-9168
- Bell, A. R., Brooks, C. and Taylor, N. (2016) Time-varying price discovery in the eighteenth century: empirical evidence from the London and Amsterdam stock markets. Cliometrica Journal of Historical Economics and Econometric History, 10 (1). pp. 5–30. ISSN 1863-2505 doi: 10.1007/s11698-014-0120-z
- Nneji, O., Brooks, C. and Ward, C. (2015) Speculative bubble spillovers across regional housing markets. Land Economics, 91 (3). pp. 516–535. ISSN 1543-8325 doi: 10.3368/le.91.3.516
- Nneji, O., Brooks, C. and Ward, C. (2013) Commercial real estate and equity market bubbles: are they contagious to REITs? Urban Studies, 50 (12). pp. 2496–2516.ISSN 1360-063X doi: 10.1177/0042098013477700
- Nneji, O., Brooks, C. and Ward, C. (2013) Intrinsic and rational speculative bubbles in the US housing market 1960–2011. Journal of Real Estate Research, 35 (2). pp. 121–151.ISSN 0896-5803
- Anderson, K., Brooks, C. and Tsolacos, S. (2011) Testing for periodically collapsing rational speculative bubbles in US REITs. Journal of Real Estate Portfolio Management, 17 (3). pp. 227–241.ISSN 1083-5547
- Bell, A. R., Brooks, C. and Moore, T. K. (2017) Cambium non est mutuum: exchange and interest rates in medieval Europe. The Economic History Review, 70 (2). pp. 373–396. ISSN 1468-0289 doi: 10.1111/ehr.12374
- Bell, A. R., Brooks, C. and Moore, T. K. (2017) Did purchasing power parity hold in medieval Europe? The Manchester School, 85 (6). pp. 682–709. ISSN 1467-9957 doi: https://doi.org/10.1111/manc.12167
- Bell, A. R., Brooks, C. and Moore, T. K. (2016) Did purchasing power parity hold in medieval Europe? The Manchester School. ISSN 1467-9957 doi: 10.1111/manc.12167
- Bell, A. R., Brooks, C. and Moore, T. K. (2014) The credit relationship between Henry III and merchants of Douai and Ypres, 1247–70. Economic History Review, 67 (1). pp. 123–145.ISSN 1468-0289 doi: 10.1111/1468-0289.12013
- Bell, A. R., Brooks, C. and Moore, T. K. (2009) Interest in Medieval accounts: examples from England, 1272–1340. History, 94 (316). pp. 411–433.ISSN 1468-229X doi: 10.1111/j.1468-229X.2009.00464.x
- Bell, A. R., Brooks, C. and Dryburgh, P. R. (2007) Interest rates and efficiency in medieval wool forward contracts. Journal of Banking & Finance, 31 (2). pp. 361–380.ISSN 0378-4266 doi: 10.1016/j.jbankfin.2006.04.006
- Brooks, C. (2014) Introductory econometrics for finance. 3rd edition. Cambridge University Press.ISBN 9781107661455
- Bell, A., Brooks, C. and Prokopczuk, M., eds. (2013) Handbook of research methods and applications in empirical finance. Edward Elgar, Cheltenham, pp512.ISBN 9780857936080
- Brooks, C. and Tsolacos, S. (2010) Real estate modelling and forecasting. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, pp474.ISBN 9780521873390
- Brooks, C. (2008) RATS handbook to accompany introductory econometrics for finance. Cambridge University Press, pp213.ISBN 9780521721684
- International Journal of Forecasting. "Editorial board". Elsevier. Retrieved 8 June 2014.
- Journal of Business Finance & Accounting. "Editorial board". Wiley. doi:10.1111/(ISSN)1468-5957. Retrieved 8 June 2014.
- British Accounting Review. "Editorial board". Elsevier. Retrieved 8 June 2014.
- RAE 2008. "Panel members for the 2008 RAE". Higher Education Funding Council for England.
- British Academy of Management. "Research Excellence Framework: BAM nominees appointed to Business and Management Subpanel". Retrieved 8 June 2014.
- British Accounting and Finance Association (8 September 2010). "Minutes of the Executive Meeting of the Conference of Professors of Accounting and Finance". Archived from the original on 14 July 2014.
- Economic and Social Research Council. "Peer Review College". Archived from the original on 10 June 2014. Retrieved 8 June 2014.
- Economic and Social Research Council. "Research catalogue". Archived from the original on 15 July 2014.
- The Leverhulme Trust. "Awards made in 2011".
- Central Archive of the University of Reading. "Items where author is 'Brooks, Professor Chris'". University of Reading. Retrieved 8 June 2014.
- "Chris Brooks". Retrieved 8 June 2014.
- Roberta Geraci (12 May 2014). "New edition of econometrics bestseller". ICMA Centre. Archived from the original on 14 July 2014. Retrieved 10 June 2014.