|Headquarters||3 Place de la Madeleine Paris, France|
Number of locations
|78 stores in 34 cities (March 2020)|
Cerruti 1881 is a brand of the fashion house Cerruti founded in 1967 in Paris by the Italian stylist and fashion producer Nino Cerruti. It was named "1881" because Nino's grandfather founded the family wool mill, Fratelli Cerruti Wool Mill, in Italy in 1881.
In 1967 the Cerruti label was launched with the opening of the flagship store, at 3 Place de la Madeleine in Paris, France, in order to be closer to the international fashion capital. The place is also the headquarters of the firm.
In August 2006, the company became property of the American firm MatlinPatterson Global Advisors.
In December 2010, the company was acquired by Chinese clothing retailer Trinity Limited.
In 1881, the grandfather of Nino Cerruti founded the textile mill Lanificio Fratelli Cerruti. Located in Biella (Piemonte, Italy) the water in the region is put to use to wash and treat the wool, which is imported principally from Australia and South Africa, so as to develop flannel, tweeds, cashmere, and butter muslin. Nino Cerruti took over the family business after his father's death in 1950. Cerruti fabrics are still produced in the same workshops.
The Cerruti label was launched in 1967 with a menswear collection. In 1976, the line 'Cerruti Woman' was created. Before creating his own brand in 1974, Giorgio Armani had worked in Paris under Cerruti.
In 1978, the house launched its first fragrance with Nino Cerruti pour Homme, followed by numerous other fragrances for both men and women such as Fair Play in 1985, Cerruti 1881 pour Homme in 1990, Cerruti Image in 1998 and l'Essence de Cerruti in 2008.
In the 1980s, Cerruti began producing clothes for films. See Cinema and Cerruti for details.
In 1994, Cerruti was the official designer of the famous Scuderia Ferrari.
In October 2000, Nino Cerruti sold his brand to Italian investors and get back to the family business of his grandfather, Lanificio Fratelli Cerruti, dal 1881. His departure came after the full takeover of the company by Fin.part.
The Cerruti house designs, manufactures, distributes, and retails luxury ready-to-wear, jeans, fragrances, sportswear, leather goods, watches, and accessories. It offers three lines, each for men and women: Cerruti (top line), Cerruti 1881 (diffusion line) and 18CRR81 (sportswear). Other highly specialized sub-labels including Cerruti Jeans, Cerruti Parfums.
- 1978 Nino Cerruti (M)
- 1985 Fair Play (M)
- 1987 Nino Cerruti pour femme (F)
- 1990 Cerruti 1881 (M)
- 1995 Cerruti 1881 (F)
- 1998 Cerruti Image (F)
- 2000 Cerruti Image (M)
- 2002 Cerruti 1881 Amber (M)
- 2003 Cerruti 1881 Eau d'Eté (F)
- 2004 Cerruti Sí (M)
- 2006 Cerruti 1881 – Black (M)
- 2006 Cerruti 1881 pour femme – White (F)
- 2008 L'Essence de Cerruti (M)
There are Cerruti 1881, 18CRR81 and Cerruti stores throughout the world in Milan, Cosenza, Madrid, London, Kuala Lumpur, Chennai, Munich, Stockholm, Athens, Birmingham, Riyadh, Moscow, New York, Hong Kong, Taipei, Jakarta, and Tokyo among other locations. In addition, the label is sold through some 1,500 vendors.
From July 2009 to May 2010, the flagship store at Place de la Madeleine closed its door for renovation. The design was contracted to the French architect Christian Biecher. The inauguration was launched with the presence of the founder Nino Cerruti.
As of March 2020, Cerruti 1881 has 78 stores in 34 cities.
Cinema and Cerruti
Nino Cerruti created exclusive clothes for films and actors, since he first dressed French actor Jean-Paul Belmondo in 1965. Some of his contributions include:
- 1985 – Jewel of the Nile, Michael Douglas
- 1987 – The Witches of Eastwick, Jack Nicholson
- 1987 – Fatal attraction, Michael Douglas
- 1987 – Wall Street, Michael Douglas
- 1990 – Pretty Woman, Richard Gere
- 1991 – Silence of the Lambs, Scott Glenn
- 1992 – Basic Instinct, Michael Douglas
- 1993 – Philadelphia, Tom Hanks
- 1993 – Indecent Proposal, Robert Redford
- 1994 – Prêt-à-Porter, Marcello Mastroianni
- 1997 – As good as it gets, Jack Nicholson
- 1997 – Air Force One, Harrison Ford
- 2000 – American Psycho, Christian Bale
Sports and Cerruti
Cerruti also used the power of communication in sports and its champions, dressed players of different sports:
- Ski – Ingemar Stenmark
- Tennis – Jimmy Connors, Mats Wilander
- Football – Jean Pierre Papin
- Car Racing – Jean Alesi, Ferrari Team, Gergart Berger, Jacques Villeneuve, Michael Schumacher
- Nino Cerruti
- "A stitch in time: Cerruti 1881". The Week Portfolio. Retrieved 2020-01-16.
- WW, FashionNetwork com. "China's Trinity Limited buys Cerruti". FashionNetwork.com. Retrieved 2020-01-17.
- Menkes, Suzy (1994-04-26). "Cerruti's A-List:Here's Hollywood". The New York Times. ISSN 0362-4331. Retrieved 2017-10-06.
- "Nino Cerruti: Fashion's Philosopher". www.vogue.co.uk. Retrieved 2017-10-05.
- Menkes, Suzy; Tribune, International Herald (2001-06-27). "Nino Cerruti Discreetly Exits the Fashion Stage". The New York Times. ISSN 0362-4331. Retrieved 2020-03-03.
- "CERRUTI 1881 – Trinity Group". Retrieved 2020-01-16.
- Menkes, Suzy; Tribune, International Herald (1994-04-26). "Cerruti's A-List:Here's Hollywood". The New York Times. ISSN 0362-4331. Retrieved 2020-01-16.
- "Michael Douglas's Light Brown Cerruti Suit in Basic Instinct". BAMF Style. 2018-09-25. Retrieved 2020-01-16.
- "Cerruti biography". Catwalk Yourself. Retrieved 2020-01-16.
- País, Ediciones El (1995-03-12). "Retales". El País (in Spanish). ISSN 1134-6582. Retrieved 2020-01-16.
- "AIR FORCE 1 - President James Marshall (Harrison Ford) Distressed Suit | The Golden Closet". www.thegoldencloset.com. Retrieved 2020-01-16.
Media files used on this page
Author/Creator: CC BY-SA 2.5
A representation of the Maclachlan hunting tartan. This tartan is the oldest tartan to bear the name MacLachlan. This tartan is referred to as the Old MacLachlan, MacLachlan, and Hunting MacLachlan. This sett was first published in Old & Rare Scottish Tartans by D. W. Stewart in 1893.
Thread count: Y6, W4, Bk32, G32, Y6, W4, R48.
Sources: MacLachlan Clan Tartan WR1710 MacLachlan Hunting Tartan