COVID-19 pandemic in Northern Mindanao
|COVID-19 pandemic in Northern Mindanao|
|First outbreak||Wuhan, Hubei, China|
|Index case||Cagayan de Oro|
|Arrival date||March 11, 2020|
(1 year, 6 months, 1 week and 5 days)
The COVID-19 pandemic in Northern Mindanao is part of the worldwide pandemic of coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) caused by severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2). The virus reached Northern Mindanao on March 11, 2020, when the first case of the disease was confirmed in Cagayan de Oro.
The first case in the whole Mindanao was confirmed on March 11, 2020; that of a 54-year-old male Lanao del Sur resident. The patient was admitted to a private hospital in Iligan and was later referred to the Northern Mindanao Medical Center in Cagayan de Oro on March 8, 2020. The man had no travel history abroad but has recently traveled Metro Manila for work. Iligan recorded its first COVID-19 case, also Northern Mindanao's second case, on March 24, 2020.
The first cases in other provinces of Northern Mindanao are as follow: Camiguin (March 28), Misamis Occidental (March 29), and Bukidnon (April 9) Lanao del Norte has also reported at least a case.
The first cases in Bukidnon and Lanao del Norte has been linked to a cockfighting derby in Matina, Davao City. The derby has been associated to the spread of COVID-19 to other parts of Mindanao.
By May 7, 2020, local transmission in Cagayan de Oro has been confirmed with the city's latest three cases involving individuals with no travel history to affected areas.
Misamis Oriental recorded its first case on June 12, 2020, that of a returning resident of Libertad who arrived in the province on June 6, 2020.
Several CoronaVac COVID-19 vaccines, which were stored at Misamis Oriental Provincial Health Office, have been considered unusable after being exposed from the intense heat of a fire which broke out off the building on April 14, 2021.
- Breakdown of confirmed cases is according to the COVID-19 Case Tracker of the Department of Health.
- Timonera, Bobby (March 12, 2020). "Mindanao's first COVID-19 case went home to Lanao Sur before admission in Iligan hospital and later CDO". MindaNews. Retrieved May 8, 2020.
- "Mindanao's first COVID-19 case admitted at CDO hospital". MindaNews. March 11, 2020. Retrieved May 8, 2020.
- "Iligan City records 1st COVID-19 case". Manila Bulletin. March 24, 2020. Retrieved May 8, 2020.
- Mascariñas, Erwin (April 7, 2020). "Camiguin confirms first virus case". Daily Tribune. Retrieved May 8, 2020.
- "Mayor confirms first COVID-19 case in Ozamiz City". Philippine Daily Inquirer. March 29, 2020. Retrieved April 3, 2020.
- Suson, Divina (April 29, 2020). "Seafarer in MisOcc tests positive for Covid-19". Philippine News Agency. Retrieved May 8, 2020.
- "Bukidnon province reports first COVID-19 case". CNN Philippines. April 9, 2020. Retrieved April 11, 2020.
- Umel, Richel (March 30, 2020). "Entire village in Lanao Norte on lockdown after resident tests positive for COVID-19". Philippine Daily Inquirer. Retrieved March 31, 2020.
- Arguillas, Carolyn. "18 COVID-19 cases outside Davao City linked to Matina Gallera derby". MindaNews. Retrieved April 14, 2020.
- "Local COVID-19 transmission recorded in Cagayan De Oro City amid strict quarantine request". CNN Philippines. May 7, 2020. Retrieved May 7, 2020.
- "Southern Leyte, Misamis Oriental report first COVID-19 cases". CNN Philippines. June 12, 2020. Retrieved June 13, 2020.
- "Fire destroys Misamis Oriental health office, COVID-19 vaccines". Rappler.