Anatoly Mikhailovich Sagalevich (Russian: Анатолий Михайлович Сагалевич; born 5 September 1938) is a Russian explorer, who works at the Shirshov Institute of Oceanology of the Russian Academy of Sciences (USSR Academy of Sciences until 1991) since 1965.
Since 1979, he has been the director of the Russian (former Soviet) Deepwater Submersibles Laboratory. He received Doctor of Sciences degree in 1985. Sagalevich took part in the construction of Pisces VIII, Pisces IX and MIR Deep Submergence Vehicles (DSV) and completed more than 300 submersions as the chief pilot of DSVs. Between 1989 and 2005, he led 28 expeditions on MIR DSV. He was the pilot of MIR during expeditions to the British passenger liner RMS Titanic, the German battleship Bismarck, the Soviet submarine K-278 Komsomolets, the Japanese submarine I-52, and the Russian submarine K-141 Kursk.
On 10 January 2008, Sagalevich was awarded the title Hero of the Russian Federation for "courage and heroism showed in extremal conditions and successful completion of High-Latitude Arctic Deep-Water Expedition."
Honours and awards
- Hero of the Russian Federation (9 January 2008), "for courage and heroism displayed in extreme conditions, and the success of high-latitude Arctic deep-sea expedition."
- Order of Lenin – for MIR-1 and MIR-2 creation
- Order of the Badge of Honour – for deepwater research of Lake Baikal
- Order of Courage – for special underwater operations on Soviet submarine K-278 Komsomolets
- Lowell Thomas Award – for valuable contribution into conducting deepwater ocean research in the 20th century.
- 2007 Adventurer of the Year award from prestigious Los Angeles Adventurers' Club for Arctic dive to North Pole.
- 2008 The William Beebe Award The Explorers Club
- 2009 The Ralph White Award from The Explorers Club
- 2002 – Member of the Academy of Arts and Sciences underwater U.S. category "Science"
- Sagalevich, Anatoly M.; Isley III; Paul T. (2009). The Deep. Voyages to Titanic and Beyond. Botanical Press. ISBN 978-0-9817010-0-4.
|2005||Aliens of the Deep||as himself|
- Сагалевич Анатолий Михайлович (All-Photo.Ru)
- Deep Ocean Expeditions Archived 27 September 2007 at the Wayback Machine
- "DivingAlmanac.com". Archived from the original on 22 September 2008. Retrieved 4 June 2009.
- Президент России | Указ «О награждении государственными наградами Российской Федерации» Archived 18 January 2008 at the Wayback Machine
- The Explorers Club Archived 25 July 2008 at the Wayback Machine
- (in Russian) Презентации книги Героя России, д.т.н. Анатолия Михайловича Сагалевича Archived 13 December 2009 at the Wayback Machine
- (in Russian) Biography